Online College Articles
Campus College Articles
Choose a County
Accomack, Albemarle, Alleghany, Amelia, Amherst, Appomattox, Arlington, Augusta, Bath, Bedford, Bland, Botetourt, Brunswick, Buchanan, Buckingham, Campbell, Caroline, Carroll, Charles City, Charlotte, Chesterfield, Clarke, Craig, Culpeper, Cumberland, Dickenson, Dinwiddie, Essex, Fairfax, Fauquier, Floyd, Fluvanna, Franklin, Frederick, Giles, Gloucester, Goochland, Grayson, Greene, Greensville, Halifax, Hanover, Henrico, Henry, Highland, Isle Of Wight, James City, King And Queen, King George, King William, Lancaster, Lee, Loudoun, Louisa, Lunenburg, Madison, Mathews, Mecklenburg, Middlesex, Montgomery, Nelson, New Kent, Northampton, Northumberland, Nottoway, Orange, Page, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Powhatan, Prince Edward, Prince George, Prince William, Pulaski, Rappahannock, Richmond, Roanoke, Rockbridge, Rockingham, Russell, Scott, Shenandoah, Smyth, Southampton, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Surry, Sussex, Tazewell, Warren, Washington, Westmoreland, Wise, Wythe, York
Virginia CountiesThe Commonwealth of Virginia is divided into 95 counties and 39 independent cities, which are considered county-equivalents for census purposes.
Charlotte County, Virginia
Charlotte County History, Geography, Demographics, Cities and Towns, and Education
Etymology - Origin of County Name
Charlotte is named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of George III of Great Britain.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Charlotte County, Virginia formed from Lunenburg County. Legislative enactment in 1764. Organized in 1765. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Charlotte County was named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, consort of George III. It was formed from Lunenburg County in 1764. Its area is 471 square miles, and the county seat is Charlotte Court House. The population is 12,472 according to the 2000 census.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 477 square miles (1,237 kmē), of which, 475
square miles (1,230 kmē) of it is land and 2 square miles (6 kmē) of it (0.51%) is water.
Cities and Towns:
Enter County Resources and Information Here
The history of our nation was a prolonged struggle to define the relative roles and powers of our governments: federal, state, and local. And the names given the counties, our most locally based jurisdictions, reflects the "characteristic features of this country!"