Online College Articles
Campus College Articles
Choose a County
Maine CountiesThere are16 Counties in Maine. Prior to statehood, Maine was officially part of the state of Massachusetts and was called the District of Maine. Maine was granted statehood on March 15, 1820 as part of the Missouri Compromise. Nine of the sixteen Counties had their borders defined while Maine was still part of Massachusetts, and hence are older than the state itself. Even after 1820, the exact location of the northern border of Maine was disputed with Britain, until the question was settled and the northern Counties took their final, official form by treaty in 1845. Almost all of Aroostook County was disputed land until the treaty was signed.
Kennebec County, Maine
Kennebec County History, Geography, and Demographics
Etymology - Origin of County Name
Kennebec is named for the Kennebec River.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Kennebec County is a county located in the U.S. state of Maine. Its county seat is Augusta. The center of population of Maine is located in Kennebec County, in the city of Augusta
History of Kennebec County, Maine
Kennebec County occupies the most valuable section of Kennebec River. The surface, though hilly, is not
mountainous. It contains a large number of ponds, and many fine water-powers. The territory is nearly that of the
Kennebec Patent, but it somewhat overpasses the limits of that patent as finally settled. The indefinite description
of those limits caused much litigation, but was finally settled in 1757, by reference to five emineiit lawyers. By
their decision, the southern boundary of the patant placed at the northern line of the town of Woolwich, in the
present county of Sagadahoc, and the northern boundary at what is now the southern line of Cornville, in Somerset
County. Briefly stated, the patent, as settled, covered territory 30 miles wide (15 miles wide on each side of the
Kennebec River), and extended from Merry-meeting Bay to the falls below Norridgewock, and contained 1,500,000 acres.
The tract was valuable in the early period of the country on account of the trade with the natives, and its
fisheries. In 1640, the proprietors of the patent ceded it to the whole body of freemen of Plymouth Colony. Between
1648 and 1653, the colony obtained from the Indian sagamores (leeds of the land extending from Cushnoc (now
Augusta), to the northern limit of the grant, built one or two small forts on the river, and sent magistrates into
the region to protect their rights. Their monopoly was often intruded upon, and caused them so much annoyance that
in 1661 they sold their entire right in the patent for Ģ400 sterling to four men, Antipas Boies, Edward Tyng, Thomas
Brattle and John Winslow.
|- Augusta (County Seat)||city||Incorporated Area|
|- Gardiner||city||Incorporated Area|
|- Hallowell||city||Incorporated Area|
|- Mount Vernon||town|
|- Waterville||city||Incorporated Area|
|- West Gardiner||town|
Enter County Resources and Information Here